Upside Down

"Sunrise on the Boardwalk" photo courtesy of Arturo Donate @ Flickr

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

What Not to Wear and How Do I Look?

Have you ever noticed how these shows take one person at a time and transform them in what? two days!

Is there something here that we can use in education? Is there a reason for their process? Why do they go from clothes, to hair to make-up in that order?

Here's what I notice -
1. A group of people recommend or encourage someone they care about who is in need of a makeover.

2. There are strong facilitators throughout the change process -Stacy and Clinton are direct, but supportive and dare I say, even funny!

3. How they go about the change process is basically the same, but tailored for each person. In one episode I saw of How Do I Look?, Jeannie placed the person in an experience to help the person understand how others perceived her and the light bulb went off! Simply telling the woman did not work! Seeing examples did not work! It is deeper.

I have seen value in being engaged in an experience to offer insight into the internal change process. I have heard teachers say they are afraid of technology, so does designing an experience to help them face that fear have value? I think so. I tried this and boy did they get angry! Were there tears? You bet! Some even got sick, but I have never had more respect for a group of people than these teachers who bravely went forth with learning technology because they truly cared about their students. That is what I call commitment!

What I noticed afterward was growth in confidence. The teachers were able to get past the fear and knew that they could face challenges that technology brought - and we know there are many. The cool thing about it was they kept moving forward - at their own pace. It stuck.

If you look at the shows, the transformation sticks, too.

What I am wondering about is how this connects to staff development. If Stacy, Clinton and Jeannie are able to transform a person's point of view in 3 days, why can't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment