Upside Down

"Sunrise on the Boardwalk" photo courtesy of Arturo Donate @ Flickr

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Coaching Leads to Transformation

Coaching is a hot word in education right now. It's not surprising since it's good stuff. However, I wonder about the different styles of coaching. A good coach has style, right? I mean, take a look at sporting coaches like Vince Lombardi. I don't even watch football and I know his name. So why was he so great? Here's why - he found a way to bring out the best in his players and work the team.


And what about personal trainers? My daughter has quite a few for her gymnastics and they get her to do things she didn't know she could do!

And then there are Reality TV coaches. Yes, I know some of it is staged, but some of it isn't. Here are a few:
Supernanny, Stacy and Clinton from What Not to Wear, Jeannie from How Do I Look? Niecy Nash and Mark Brunetz from Clean House, Ty from Extreme Makeover and Jillian from The Biggest Loser.

All of them are experts and take proven techniques, fit them to the people, scaffold the learning and then leave. Yes, leave. Transformation has occurred and what really blows my mind is that it only takes a few days to completely change a life!

Is coaching sports or personal training different from coaching teachers or students? Can we learn something from sports or Reality TV show coaches? What if we try different styles of coaching in schools?


No comments:

Post a Comment