Upside Down

"Sunrise on the Boardwalk" photo courtesy of Arturo Donate @ Flickr

Saturday, March 12, 2011

How do you know learning is occurring?

Is it a test such as WKCE or another state test?
Is it a grade?
Is it a reflection?

What is learning and how can we measure it?

Can learning be...

A. New information that is acquired  - I never knew that there was a piece of land located on the Missouri side of the Mississippi River that belongs to Illinois. Thanks to the History Channel - How States Got Their Shapes, I learned about a city and place that I had never heard of before today.
Check it out for yourself - http://www.prairieghosts.com/kaskaskia.html

B. Previous information that is altered to correct misinformation - I was brought up thinking the United States government was a democracy. It turns out that recent events by Governor Walker have brought out discussions about what kind of government we do have. Is it a true democracy or a constitutional republic or an oligarchy? I still have more research and learning to do in this area, but my point is that my previous understanding of the US government is not as straightforward as I previously understood. Not only that, there are sites such as this one also discussing the topic - http://www.basicsproject.org/constitutional_literacy/government/types_of_government.htm


C. More information that is added to existing information previously acquired - I knew that there was a difference in Japanese culture as compared to American culture. They have different views on education and community and their language is complex. I learned in a recent conversation that communication in America is more direct. This is not the case in Japan. The styles of communication are more subtle to an American.

Are there more? I'm not sure, but the significant piece is the timeframe. There is a specific point in time that separates the before and after.

My question then is about assessment.

How do we assess students to know if they are learning? Is the point that separates the before and after significant in reporting out learning? Is it a pre-test and post-test? Is it application of content? Where does mistake making fit in?

No comments:

Post a Comment