Upside Down

"Sunrise on the Boardwalk" photo courtesy of Arturo Donate @ Flickr

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Where do you find learning?

Teachers and administration are kind of like detectives or scientists who use the most powerful microscope. They look deeply into the nature of thinking, teaching and learning. They are always internally focused on what is happening inside their living and breathing organization. 
But I don’t often see them taking a look at what’s happening outside of the school. Yes. Schools have great pressure from external forces. Yes. Schools respond to those forces. That’s not what I’m talking about. I’m talking about taking a look at what we, as an educational institution, can learn from society. 

Have you watched what is happening on TV lately? I think it’s a direct reflection of the society we serve. When our students go home at night, one of the things they do with their families and friends is watch TV. Even at school, we talk amongst ourselves about the shows we watch. It is bonding, but I think there is more to it. One of the things I love about being a mom is that I get to spend time with my daughter. I have always thought that I am her first teacher and take much responsibility for trying to do a good job with this. I love that we can watch and show and talk about it. She was the one who got me interested in watching Clean House and to date, I now have a much nice kitchen because of it. My daughter is 11. 
Take a night to watch TV show with someone in your family or a friend and think - Wait a minute, did I just learn something?  Does this show relate to something I do in my life or job?
(Hope you got the significance that this is not about watching TV.)

No comments:

Post a Comment