Upside Down

"Sunrise on the Boardwalk" photo courtesy of Arturo Donate @ Flickr

Monday, January 10, 2011

Facebook - to teach, to learn

I witnessed an eager group of students today meeting with their teacher and another adult who was there to explain how she set up a Facebook account from a business perspective. Yes, we are entering the social media community of using Facebook...
in school...
with kids...
and teachers...
by students...
for learning.

And later tonight, I logged onto FB and wondered this...

I follow a few pages that post some very interesting articles like this one by MindShift: How We Will Learn. The article is called, "Why Every Student Should Learn the Skills of a Journalist." and it got me to thinking about the information that our students could post.

In other words, I am consuming information and thinking when I read these articles BUT the other side is producing information that grabs my attention and gets me to think.

So how can I explain this?
When students post online, it seems that it is only information for sharing. I think it could be deeper.

My question: What if students posted content that got other students or adults to think about the information they post by asking questions or drawing conclusions?

No comments:

Post a Comment