Upside Down

"Sunrise on the Boardwalk" photo courtesy of Arturo Donate @ Flickr

Thursday, January 6, 2011

What's the question?

I was thinking the other night about assessment because I am starting to collect the hard data on whether our technology integration is having a positive impact on student learning and achievement. I recall reading an article that said something to this effect - sometimes, to change the way we see things, we need to change the question.

In education, we ask all the time - what did you learn? How do we know you've learned it? Why is it important to learn it? States have standards, schools have learning targets, essential questions, etc and all of the above. There are probably millions of tests on the Internet to answer these questions - paper and pencil ones you can print out, online ones that give immediate feedback, ones that will engage you in a virtual experience and so on with lists of what kids needs to know.

So I know I'm not the first person to ask these, but what if we asked these questions:

How much did you learn? Was it a lot? a little? Significant? Was it enough?

What didn't you learn? Why? What if you don't learn it, how will that impact your future? What are you going to do about it? What stopped you from learning it?

I do believe I just generated some form of my end-of-the-year reflection questions for technology integration. I'm curious. Update to follow in June....

No comments:

Post a Comment