Upside Down

"Sunrise on the Boardwalk" photo courtesy of Arturo Donate @ Flickr

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Looking at the Education System along a Developmental Continuum

I love the mornings! My best thinking usually comes then : ) Here is why I believe personalized learning is going to change education and why it's the best way to go:

What if we looked at the education system as developing along a continuum?

Key ideas:
If there is learning, there is change.
Learning is developmental.

I think of two continuums:
Ruben Puentedura's SAMR model. If you have not seen his video to show the trends of technology over 200,000 years, it's very cool.


I also remember LoTI - Levels of Technology Integration. I remember we would teach classes and expect people to move along this continuum fairly quickly and in my experience, it takes about 4-7 years.

So let's talk continuum (in regards to use of technology):
Individual basis
Adoption - it's when a person starts to use technology in the classroom
Adaptation - it's when a teachers starts to use it to replace previous methods of technology b/c he or she has found it to be better in such a way, but still teacher directed

Education System
Adoption - this occurred quite awhile ago - lots of districts purchased technology -
Adaptation - when they started to use it, they applied it as a blanket approach, managed it

Ah ha!! From my research and from what I have read, there has not seen much of an impact on student learning in these two phases.

Here's my rationale - it's not until the use of technology crosses what I refer to as the mid-point that it has an impact on learning.  The mid-point is the moment that learning becomes personal. I refer to this as the Infusion phase b/c personal use and learning cannot be separated. This is the hardest phase to get to b/c it is emotional. It means letting go of the past and that is an emotional experience. It is a change in a belief system.

This is where I see our education system now - in the infusion phase. Learning and technology are becoming one in the same b/c people are able to personalize their technology.

The last phase is transformation. The person is different as a result of the learning experience that they have been allowed to personalize. There are 2 indicators of being in the phase - the broad acceptance that each person is unique and learning uniquely and the global market is increasing our global awareness and need to understand how we are connected at this level. I am seeing both of these topics emerge with greater awareness, understanding and emphasis. In addition, everywhere we look, life is becoming a personal experience from our jeans to how we shop.

And this is why I have no doubt that the system of education will never look the same as before. It is transforming into something different. It is transforming into YOU.







No comments:

Post a Comment